Vietnam visa exemption & foreign relations
(Countries and territories whose citizens do not need a Vietnam visa)
As of July 2013, Vietnam (formerly Socialist Republic of Vietnam) maintains diplomatic relationships with 182 nations throughout the world. Some countries have visa exemption scheme with Vietnam including: Brunei, Myanmar (14 days); Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos (30 days); Philippines (21 days); Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia and Finland (15 days)
UPDATE: Starting from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016 visitors from the following countries will not need a visa to Vietnam for less than 15 days: Germany, France, the UK, Italy, and Spain.
It should be noticed that any foreigners who enter Vietnam and are unilaterally granted visa free entry must have a passport valid for at least 6 months, and the entry date must be at least 30 days from the previous exit. That means there must be 30 days between leaving Vietnam and re-entering in order to take advantage of a second visa exempt entry.
Citizens of following countries do not require a visa to visit Vietnam. Please notice that the list will be updated frequently, therefore you should check it carefully before sending your visa application:
1. Vietnam visa is exempted for Brunei, Myanmar passport holders within 14 days as from the date of arrival.
2. Vietnam visa is exempted for Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos passport holders within 30 days as from the date of arrival.
3. Vietnam visa is exempted for Philippines passport holders within 21 days as from the date of arrival.
4. Vietnam visa is exempted for Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia and Finland passport holders within 15 days as from the date of arrival.
5. Vietnam visa is exempted for France, Chile citizens holding valid diplomatic or official passports within 90 days or several visits of 6 months as from the date of arrival.
6. Vietnam visa is exempted for APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) holders from Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) member economies within 60 days as from the date of arrival.
7. Vietnam visa is exempted for those who travel to Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam: Foreigners and Vietnamese nationals bearing foreign passports who enter Vietnam through an international border gate and then travel to Phu Quoc Island and stay in Phu Quoc less than 15 days. Passports must be valid for at least 45 days. After arriving in Phu Quoc Island, if visitors want to travel to other localities or stay in the island for more than 15 days, the immigration department will be responsible for issuing visas right on the spot.
If you choose to stay in Vietnam over exempted duration, please be recommended that you should apply a suitable Vietnam visa before entering to Vietnam, do not pay attention to exempted cases because the visa renewal course would be very complicated causing many troubles for you. In order to apply for a Vietnam visa, please contact us to simplify your procedures and get the cheapest visa cost.